|Pidou Wine Beer Calais||1st Shop In Adinkerke||Calais Wine Superstore|
|Real Tobacco||Route 66 Luxembourg||Pidou Wine Beer Calais|
On this page;
The site for day trippers and visitors to Calais and other Channel ports in North West France – looking for accommodation and information on hotel chains in France
Hotels in France are officially graded from one to five stars based on the facilities offered, with the rating displayed on a blue sign outside the hotel. Hotels with two or more stars – must have a lift where appropriate, a telephone in every bedroom, and at least 40% of the rooms en-suite. Hotels with three stars – must offer breakfast in the bedrooms and 80% of the rooms must be en-suite. Hotels with four stars – must have a restaurant and all the bedrooms en-suite.
In 2011 a new classifcation was announced. There is now a "PALACE" label. Only one fifth of the 130 5* hotels in France are likely to be awarded this classification. Hotels must demonstrate the ability to deliver luggage to rooms less than ten minutes after the guest's arrival, have an exceptional geographical location and a certain percentage of investment each year.
Cheapest time of the year? Generally prices are cheapest between from November to the end of February. Prices are always at their peak during the summer holidays. Weekends are the best time of the week for lower prices, as hotels fill their rooms with weekend offers.
Comparison sites may be easy to use, but they don't always give you the whole picture. I found it easier to click away on links for the chains listed on this page and use the maps available to find a hotel just where I want it.
More about star grading.
- France. www.umih.fr (pdf)
- Belgium. www.juridat.be (in French)
- Spain. www.cehat.com
- United Kingdom. www.qualityintourism.com
Click on company logo to go to that companies web site. Wherever possible we have linked the hotels listed in each of the channel ports, with that companies page for that towns hotel. Hotel chains Clarine and Kyriad have been merged into the Kyriad Chain.
French Hotel Chains • Book a Hotel in France • Booking agencies • Apartment hotels • Bed and breakfast • Budget chains • Camping in France • Camping Holidays • Chateaux Hotels • Good Value hotels • Hostel accommodation • Gîtes in France • Logis de France • Quality hotels • Calais Hotels • Budget • Good value • Quality hotels • NORD / Pas de Calais hotels • Book a hotel in Belgium • Book a hotel in Luxembourg • Book a U.K. hotel (Airports)
There are many chains of hotels in France offering much the same in style. From the cheapest, Formule 1 (sink in room but no shower or WC), to the more upmarket Campanile and IBIS. Things are changing though, as most chains now have holiday pricing at certain times of the year, and now charge higher rates if there are more than two people. The cheaper hotels are usually full – we suggest you book in advance and not leave it to chance.
Don't overlook the Logis de France, in terms of value and ambience they remain unbeatable.
The two main hotels chains in France are the ACCOR chain and the Louvre hotels Group.
– Louvre Hotel group. The following hotels are part of the group; Campanile, Kyriad, Kyriad Prestige, Premiere Classe. www.louvrehotels.com
Logis and Gîtes de France
Quality Labels – what they mean
– The label "Tourism Quality" was unveiled on December 1, 2004 by the French Minister of Tourism. www.qualite-tourisme.fr
Companies of the professional sectors in the heart of the tourist service:
- Lodging – hotels, camp-sites, furnished, Residences of Tourism, rooms of host, vacation villages
- Restaurants, bars, brewery
- Promotion – travel agencies, Tour operators, Tourist Offices
- Transport – coach companies, car hire companies
- Tourism for businesses – conference
This logo will only be given to companies concerned with and filling five conditions:
- To complying with the rules of hygiene and safety
- To be in conformity with the lawful classification of the activity
- To follow a quality procedure based on external control
- To answer national engagements of quality
- To ensure a procedure to deal with complaints of customers.
Especially out of season, there are special offers to be had in France. A good place to start is the local Tourist Office.
An example is the "Week-end en Villes", which runs from November 1st to March 31st most years, extending to about 30 towns. In this case you get two nights for the price of one.
Many towns have this offer on all year including Dunkirk, Le Havre, and Lille.