On this page;
General information about in France – Day-tripper.net the web magazine for visitors to France.
General information for France visitors – Post Office, Banks, Telephone and postal codes in France.
Some useful bits and pieces of information concerning France.
More on the Travelling tips page.
– French Post Office web site. Post Offices in France are normally open weekdays from 8.00am to 5.00pm, and Saturday from 8.00am to mid-day. You can buy stamps at TABAC's, Newsagents and Souvenir Shops as well.
Calais Office (next to theatre). Tel: 0033 321 35 78 45. www.laposte.fr
English Language site. www.laposte.com
La Poste. www.laposte.fr
Codes Postal. www.worldpostcodes.info/fr/france
Codes Postaux. www.codespostaux.com
Useful link. www.avendrealouer.fr
To call France the international dialling code is 0033, followed by the number (without the first 0).
Telephone numbers – all French numbers have 10 digits, the first two indicate the area.
– France Telecom. www.orange.fr
Call back cards – buy them in any TABAC or newsagent (presse).
International cards – allow you to dial home from any phone at normal prices. Just dial, enter your code and the number you are calling.
Cheap rate (50% extra time) is between 7pm to 8am, Monday to Friday, and all day Saturday, Sunday and Public Holidays.
French Telephone Numbers; we have found these sites extremely useful.
– Yellow Pages. www.pagesjaunes.fr
White Pages. wge.pagesjaunes.fr
Banks are normally open from 9.00am to mid-day, and 2.00 to 4.00pm. They are closed either Monday or Saturday.
– EDF, Electricité de France – 2, rue Louis Murat. 75384. Paris. Tel: 0033 140 42 22 22. www.edf.fr
– Gaz de France, Gaz de France Suez. www.gdfsuez.com
– Veolia Eau (formerly Générale des Eaux), National domestic water supplier. www.veoliaeau.fr
– Digital TV switchover. www.tousaunumerique.fr
London – French Embassy, 58 Knightsbridge, London. SW1X 7JT. Tel: 0207 073 1000. www.ambafrance-uk.org
In the United Kingdom, 21 Dartmouth Street, Westminster. London. SW1H 9BP. Tel: 0207 304 4040. www.ccfgb.co.uk
Invest in France Agency – 21-24 Grosvenor Place, London. SW1X 7HU. Tel: 0207 823 1895. sayouitofrance-innovation.com
In France; Chambres de Commerce et d'Industrie de France. www.cci.fr
– Find a public service number. vosdroits.service-public.fr
– French Government Statistics, worth a browse. www.statistiques-locales.insee.fr
– Artisanat, Chambres de Métiers. www.artisanat.fr
– Relocate France. Thinking of relocating? This company runs seminars telling you what to do and watch out for. www.relocate-france.co.uk
– Settling in in France? This organisation can help. Aims include: To provide a "welcome service" for anyone who has moved to a new area. To help newcomers to meet new people. To improve the quality of life of each town and to contribute to the development of the region. AVF is a national association with 400 local branches throughout France, run by trained volunteers. www.avf.asso.fr
– A private site offering help in setting up a business in France. Professionally run, you pay 79 euro to join the forum and get all you questions answered. www.startbusinessinfrance.com
– Excellent video (in English) showing you how to set up a business in France. www.startbusinessinfrance.com
Employing people in France (social charges, business rules)
– URSSAF. www.anglais.urssaf.fr
– Angel Traders, English speaking businesses in France. www.angeltraders.net
French Embassy and Consulates in the United Kingdom (British – in France)
London – French Embassy, 58 Knightsbridge, London. SW1X 7JT. Tel: 0207 073 1000.
French Consulate General (including Customs), 21 Cromwell Road, London. SW7 2EN. Tel: 0207 073 1200. Open: Monday to Wednesday 8.45am to 3.00pm, Thursday and Friday, 8.45am to 12.00noon.
Visa Section – 6a Cromwell Road, London SW7 2EW. Tel: 09065 508 940 (calls cost £1 per minute). www.ambafrance-uk.org
Edinburgh – 11 Randolph Crescent. EH3 7TT. Tel: 0131 225 7954.
French Institute – 17 Queensbury Place, London. SW7 2DT. Tel: 0207 073 1350.
– Villorama. Some useful information available on this site, especially contact numbers for smaller towns and villages. www.villorama.com
Communes; there are 36,500 towns or villages known as communes. www.communes.com
Symbols of France; National Motto – Liberty, Equality and Fraternity. National Anthem – La Marseillaise. National Day – Bastille Day 14th July.
Cheese; France has more than 340 different cheeses. Cheese
Imperial to Metric – how to convert
– Settling in in France? AVF can help. Aims include: To provide a "welcome service" for anyone who has moved to a new area. To help newcomers to meet new people. To improve the quality of life of each town and to contribute to the development of the region. AVF is a national association with 400 local branches throughout France, run by trained volunteers. www.avf.asso.fr
– Emigrating to France? Office Francais de l'Immigration et de l'Integration (OFII – French agency in charge of migration and welcoming foreign people). www.ofii.fr
The French Government have produced some useful information sheets in english (pdf files) giving good advice for shoppers and travellers.
France Shop, Digbeth Street, Stow-on-the-Wold, Glos. GL54 1BN. Tel: 01451 833 226.
– France in London, useful web site with lots of information mainly for French expats. www.franceinlondon.co.uk