|Daytrip daytrip to Calais||Calais Wine Superstore||Route 66 Luxembourg||Dover to Calais and Dunkirk ferry||Cheap ferry calais PO Ferries cheapest||Pidou Wine Beer Calais||1st Shop In Adinkerke|
On this page;
Calais Hypermarkets and supermarkets. France. For Calais shoppers wanting to save money when buying wines, beers, spirits, champagnes, cigarettes, food, cheese and petrol at a local Hypermarket.
Supermarkets in Calais (France) – Aldi, ED, Leaderprice, Lidl, Match, Netto. Simply, Spar.
French supermarkets are less keen on own brand goods than ours at home. They also sell bigger packs and stock more locally produced products. Great for cheese and meats.
British vs French supermarkets – British supermarkets market their products differently to those in France. The French have more discounts rather than the "buy two get one free" offers we have in the U.K. There are also more branded items and there is a lot more choice in France. Finally, French supermarkets support local producers far more than we do here at home.
September / October – Wine fair time! All the supermarket chains in France have their wine festivals around this time, offering a great range and choice of French wines at superb prices. Prices are expected to be keen this year, as there is a large stock to shift apparently. Wine fair dates
– Vinogusto, excellent source of news. www.vinogusto.com
Calais offers a good choice of Hypermarkets and Supermarkets. On this page we list them all with links to pages with more details and contact information.
Prices have always been duty paid in France. Remember to take some "bags for life" or boxes with you, most French supermarkets no longer gives out free plastic bags. You won't many "buy two get one free" offers but discounts are often given, especially if you have signed up to the chains offers card. English residents can also get them easily, just visit the information desk. To get the best deals buy locally produced cheeses, meats and vegetables. To avoid getting coupons whose "use by" date is unrealistic, buy the expensive items first, check out and then use the coupons received (which are based on what you spend) when you do the rest of your shopping. It's worth fitting a visit to the local markets – local produce is much more evident at French markets and much cheaper than the supermarket.
The summer sales in France in 2013 in NORD (59), Pas de Calais (62) and Aube (10 - Troyes, Factory shopping centres) start 26th June and run until 30th July this year. However, many departments have different start and finish dates in 2013. More information (in French) - www.economie.gouv.fr
Another link to French Government website concerning sale dates. www.service-public.fr
The Winter sales start on the second Wednesday in January every year - in 2013 they started 9th January and finished 12th February.
Six departments near the French border are free to set different dates, although often they conform to the National dates (Meurthe-et-Moselle, Meuse, Moselle, Vosges, Landes and Pyrénées-Atlantiques.) Additionally, Departments in the South (Provence Alpes Côte d'Azur region) sometimes hold their sales later than the rest of France.
In Belgium the sales are held in January and July.
– Look out for – "Le Panier des essentiels". This is a new French Government scheme to promote reasonable prices for shoppers. Basically supermarkets particpating in the scheme must offer a basic basket of 10 quality foods at a discount every week. The items in the basket must be varied and balanced and include meat, fish, fruit, vegetables, cheese or a dairy product and a beverage. Supermarkets who have signed up to the scheme include: Carrefour, Geant-Casino, Auchan, Match, Monoprix, Leclerc, Cora, Systeme U and Intermarche. Look out for the logo, the items offered must be labeled and the section of the store where they can be found must be indicated.
Supermarkets in Calais • Hypermarkets • Cité Europe • Markets • Public Holiday Shopping • Shopping in Calais • Shopping tips and advice - Clothes & Shoe sizes • French food & clothing brands • Sunday Shopping • French labels and terms • Car weight Limits
Book by 30th June 2013. Includes a car, up to 4 passengers and all taxes.
Book by 30th May 2013. Includes a car, up to 9 passengers and all taxes.
Use code Spring3Day
Book by 29th June - travel by 30th June 2013. Includes a car, up to 9 passengers and all taxes.
– Auchan Hypermarket. Av. Roger Salengro. Route de Boulogne (RN1), Calais. Open: Monday to Saturday 8.30am – 10.00pm. Sunday – Mid November and December only.
– Carrefour Hypermarket. Bd. Kent. Cite de l'Europe, Calais. Open: Monday to Friday 9.00am – 10.00pm. Saturday 8.30am – 10.00pm. Sunday – December only.
– Carrefour Hypermarket. Av. Georges Guynemer, Calais. Open: 8.30am – 9.00pm every day except Sunday.
– CORA Hypermarket (Dunkirk).
– Intermarché Supermarket. 56 Av. Antoine de Saint Exupéry, Calais. Open: Closed Monday. Tuesday to Saturday 8.30am – 7.30pm. Sunday, 8.30am – 11.30am.
Av. Percier et Fontaine, Boulogne
– ATAC Supermarket. No longer in Calais. The branch at 10 – 14 rue Delaroche is now a Simply Market.
The ATAC Supermarket near Auchan, that use to be a STOC supermarket has changed again. In September 2006 it became a Leaderprice store.
– ALDI Supermarket. 1) 93 Rue de Verdun. 2) 324 Av. de Saint Exupery. Tel: 0033 321 96 56 68. 3) Rue Mollien. Tel: 0033 321 96 53 69. Open: Monday to Saturday 9.00am to 7.00pm.
– Champion Supermarket. 2011 – Now rebranded as "Carrefour Market". 1) Route de Saint Omer. 62100 Calais. Virval (there is also a gas station here). 2) Centre Commercial "Les 4 Boulevards", 3, rue Neuve. Calais. 3) Carrefour City. 4 boulevard Clemenceau. Calais 62100. Next to the Calais Tourist Office. Open Monday to Saturday 7.00am to 10.00pm. Sunday 9.00am to 1.00pm.
– Note: Many Champion Supermarkets have been rebranded Carrefour Market from 2009.
– Coccinelle and Coccimarket. The Coccinelle / Coccimarket trade names are for local supermarkets with a total surface area larger than 400 sq meters. Own brand "Belle France". 155 Avenue Louis Bleriot. Calais 62100. Open Monday to Saturday 8.00am to 8.00pm. Sunday 8.00am to 12.00 noon.
– Dia Supermarket. This chain is now being rebranded as DIA Supermarkets. www.dia.fr
(1) 133, bld Gambetta. 62100 Calais. Tel: 0033 320 16 30 30. Open Monday to Saturday 9.00am to 7.30pm (closed lunchtime Monday to Thursday 12.30 to 2.00pm). Closed Sunday.
(2) – 365, avenue Saint Exupéry, 62100 Calais. Tel: 0033 321 35 66 75. .Open Monday to Saturday 8.30am to 7.30pm (closed lunchtime Monday to Thursday 12.30 to 2.00pm). Closed Sunday.
Dunkirk – rue de Gravelines, 59260. Loon Plage. Tel: 0033 320 16 30 30. Open: Monday – Friday 9.00am – 12.30pm, 2.00 – 7.30pm, Saturday 9.00am – 7.30pm, Sunday9.00am – 1.00pm.
(1) LIDL Supermarket (Central). rue Mollien. 62100 Calais.
(2) Av. St. Exupery.
(3) Av. Roger Salengro. Open 8.30am to 7.30pm Monday to Saturday.
– Match Supermarket. 1) Corner rue des Thermes / rue J.N. Dubout, Calais 62100. Open: Monday to Saturday 8.30am to 7.30pm. Sunday 9.00am to 12.30pm. 2) Bd. Lafayette, Calais 62100. Open: Monday to Saturday 8.30am – 8.00pm. Sunday 8.300am to 11.45am.
– NETTO Supermarket (part of the Intermarche group). Branch at Les Attaques, near Bois en Ardres. Open 9.00am to 7.15pm Monday to Saturday (closed lunchtime Monday to Thursday). Open Sunday 9.00am to noon. Buy in bulk and get a discount. www.netto.fr
– Penny Prix Bas. This store is now an Dia Supermarket, part of the Carrefour chain. www.dia.fr
– Monoprix Supermarket. 17 Bd. Jacquard, Calais. June 2007 – closed down
– Shopi Supermarket (part of the Carrefour Group). Place De La Mairie. Coulogne 62137. Tel: 0033 321 34 97 72.
– Simply Market Supermarket, 10 – 14 rue Delaroche, 62100. Calais. Tel: 0033 321 96 75 17. Open: 8.30am to 8.00pm Monday to Saturday, 8.30am to 12.30pm Sunday.
– SPAR Supermarket. Angle du Chemin des Régniers et d'Argentine. 62100 Calais. Tel: 0033 321 96 58 10. Open SUnday as well. 8.00am to 12 noon. www.spar.fr
Foot Passengers – click here for more information
(Le Touquet, Berck-sur-Mer, St. Omer -St Martin-au-Laërt, Aire-sur-la-lys).
(Bruay la Buissière, Dunkirk).
– Biocoop a chain of organic shops throughout France. www.biocoop.fr
– The nearest store is in Boulogne. BIOCOOP OPALE BIO, 17, rue Edmond Rostand. 62200 Boulogne. Tel: 0033 321 32 65 53. www.opalebio.com
– Natoora. Not a supermarket as such, but an online organic supplier.
www.natoora.co.uk – United Kingdom deliveries, largest range of French products in the United Kingdom.
– Franprix Supermarkets. www.franprix.fr
– G20 Supermarkets (There is one in Le Portel, Boulogne). www.supermarchesg20.com
– Geant Supermarkets. www.geant.fr
– HyperU / Super U. www.magasins-u.com
– Norma (mostly Eastern and Southern France). www.norma.fr
– PromoCash – this is a French equivalent of Makro (commercial shoppers only). www.promocash.com
Boulogne, ZI de l'Inquéterie. 62200. Saint Martin les Boulogne. Tel: 0033 321 10 06 80.
Dunkerque, ZA La Grande Porte. 59180. Cappelle la Grande. Tel: 0033 328 25 44 20.
– Treff Marche (mostly Eastern France), now part of the Carrefour chain.