On this page;
Information on War World War 1 and 2 Museums and other places of interest in Northern France – Day-tripper.net the web magazine for visitors to France.
With many important battles of both the First and Second World Wars taking place in this area of France and Belgium, there is much to see for enthusiasts and pilgrims. The standard of most of the War museums in France is high thanks to generous government grants and subsidy. The well kept War Graves are a moving sight, and a worthwhile visit.
Tourism in France – Calais Museums – Museums Pas de Calais – Regional Parcs – Theme parks – World War 1 & 2 – Walks and Rambling – Chambre de Commerces – Other Local Information – Public Holidays – Maps of France
V3 rocket launcher site and factory. www.basev3-mimoyecques.com Open: 1/4 – 11/11 2.00 – 6.00pm. Sunday and Public Holidays in July and Aug. 10.00am – 7.00pm. Closed 1st December to 28th February.
Built using tens of thousands of slave labourers during WW2. Open: June to 30th September – every day 9.00am – 7.00pm. Out of season; 9.00am – 12.00 noon, 2.00 – 6.00pm. Weekends only in December and January. www.batterietodt.com
– Le Blockhaus d'sEperlecques, rue du Fort Vesques, 62190. Tel: 0033 321 88 44 84. Built in 1943 as a V2 rocket launcher and factory. www.leblockhaus.com
Bondues War Museum. 59587 Directions: The Museum is located on the National Road RN17 Lille-Menin (avenue Charles de Gaulle), near the RN352, the A22 and the airfield. Tel : 0033 320 28 88 32. www.ville-bondues.fr
– La Coupole Space Centre, Herfaut-Wizernes. 62504 (5km from St. Omer on the D210). Tel: 0033 321 93 07 07. Allow 2 1/2 hours for your visit. Our verdict? Directions; From Calais – A26, exit 3 or 4. A MUST SEE. www.lacoupole.fr
Dunkirk Museum of Remembrance – Dunkirk. Tel: 0033 328 66 79 21.
– Historial de la Grande Guerre, Château de Péronne BP 63 – 80201. Peronne. Tel: 0033 322 83 14 18. Directions; A1, exit 13 or 13.1. Open: May – Sept every day 10.00am – 6.00pm hours. Closed Monday from October – April. Closed mid December to mid January. www.historial.org
Musée 39/45 – World War II Museum, CD940, Ambleteuse, 62179. Tel: 0033 321 87 33 01 / 32 44 12. Open: 1/4 – 15/10, 10.00am- 6.00pm (open every day). Out of season – W/E's and hols. Closed December, January and February. www.musee3945.com
The Underground Tunnels of Arras (WW1), Arras. Tel: 0033 321 51 26 95.
– The Wellington Quarry, rue Delétoile 62000 Arras. Tel: 0033 321 51 26 95. An underground memorial from the First World War. www.carriere-wellington.com
– WW1 battlefields – contact the Commonwealth War Graves Commission (Tel: 01628 634221). It also supplies maps showing the hundreds of cemeteries in both France and Belgium (£3 each). Tel: (UK) 01628 634 221. www.cwgc.org
– Route 39/45 – runs from Calais (War Museum) through to Eperleques (Blockhaus), Ardres, Ambleteuse, Mimoyecques (Base V3) and Audinghen (Atlantic Wall Museum – TODT Battery). www.route-3945.com
Somme Tourism. www.somme-tourisme.com
For more information contact the Calais Tourist Office.
Useful website. www.remembrancetrails-northernfrance.com
– In Flanders Fields Museum (Ypres Museum), Lakenhallen Grote Markt 34. B-8900. Ieper. Tel: 0032 57 22 85 84. www.inflandersfields.be
Memorial Museum Passchendaele 1917, Belgium. www.passchendaele.be
– Zonnebeke in Belgium, has five important British and Commonwealth War Cemeteries nearby. The ideal place to start your visit of the battlefields is here. www.zonnebeke.be
2nd World War Museum and Park, Parc St. Pierre (opp. The Town Hall) – 8 minutes. Tel: 0033 321 34 21 57. Open; 1st May to 30th September, open everyday 10.00am – 6.00pm. 1st February to 30th April, and 1st October to 30th November, open 11.00am to 5.00pm. museeguerrecalais.free.fr
A large museum in an old WWII bunker opposite the Town Hall. Use to be the German navy command post. Interesting and worth a visit.
Situated near the beach. Directions; from the centre of Calais, head for the beach, go over the roundabout past Fort Risban, folow the beach road to the end. At the end of the beach (past all the hotels) amongst the dunes is the cemetery.
Information pack – Tourism Flanders. Tel: 020 7867 0311. www.visitflanders.co.uk
World War 1 Cemeteries in France and Belgium. www.ww1cemeteries.com
– Great War Journeys 1914 – 1918. www.greatwarjourneys.co.uk